Volleyball in the Spring?

Josilyn Wheat, Reporter

The Wayne City High School Volleyball team is very excited to be able to play their 2020-2021 season. The team has been waiting all summer to finally be able to get back into the gym and play. Due to Covid-19, the volleyball team has not been able to play their season just yet. The seniors have been scared and nervous that they wouldn’t be able to get a senior year. This year is going to look a little different on the floor. No one knows if players are going to have to wear a mask or not while playing or if players can even have fans cheering them on. The coaches don’t know what is going to happen over the next few months. Everyone looks forward to getting their senior year of playing their favorite sport. Senior Jakara Greenwalt said, “It’s definitely not what any of us planned for, but I’m just glad that we will still be able to have a season.”  With more time off, the players will have more time to get ready for the tough games ahead of them.

Coach Lamar Choate says, “Just like the things we are doing now in response to coronavirus like wearing masks and social distancing, the IHSA has made this decision and there’s not much I can do about it. I am not crazy about it, but I am not in their shoes. They want to do their best to ensure the safety of everyone; the players, officials, coaches, and fans. I am just glad they decided that we could play at some point and they did not cancel on us. So, it’s just up to us to make the best of it. I think playing High School Volleyball in February will be weird at first, but once the players get on the floor it will not matter. Volleyball is played the same way in the spring as it is in the fall and true competitors will compete at any time of the year. I expect us to have fun and compete this spring.”