Back to Back to Back in Black

Chase Smith, Reporter

“Fairfield runs the BDC!” exclaimed Freshman, James Walker, after the boy’s cross country team won their third straight conference championship. Thursday, October 13 the Wayne City-Fairfield co-op cross country team hosted the Black Diamond Conference Meet at Leo French Park. Both the boy’s team and the girl’s came into the race heavily favored. The guys had won the conference the last two years and the girls were seeking the first conference win in the nineteen years the program has existed.

The girl’s race started first with Fairfield Freshman Ella Sager taking an early lead up the hill at the start. Sager stayed strong and took home first overall with another Fairfield Freshman, Adi Hickey, coming in third place overall claiming All-Conference honors. The girls raced finished up and it was time for the boys to run. Senior Chase Smith along with Carmi’s Tanner Spence pushed the pace leading the race the first mile. Smith consistently gained ground on all other runners, winning the race by a large margin. Fairfield Freshman Grant Jennette crossed the finish in third and Fairfield’s Jonathan Paul in fourth. The Mules swept the meet with both the individual champions and both teams coming in first place. Smith said, “I’m thankful I was given the opportunity to run with Fairfield for the past four years. We’ve had a lot of success over the years taking home 3 straight BDC championships and winning multiple meets in general.” The team travels to Mattoon on October 22 for the regional meet as they begin their postseason.