Fighting for First

Jovi Horton, Reporter

The 2023 boys basketball Midland Trail Conference Tournament will be held January 16-21. Every year, the tournament is held at a different school. This year, it will take place at Woodlawn High School. There are a total of eleven teams in the conference, but only ten will be in the tournament. The teams include, Christ Our Rock Lutheran, Cisne, Wayne City, Waltonville, Webber Township, Grayville, Red Hill, Woodlawn, Sandoval, and the Patoka/Odin cooperative. There will also be a cheer competition. Not every basketball team has a cheer team, so there will only be eight cheer teams competing. The teams with cheerleaders include Cisne, Wayne City, Waltonville, Webber Township, Grayville, Red Hill, Woodlawn, and Patoka/Odin. There will be three cheer teams awarded with a trophy. Junior Cecilia Choate predicted, “I think that we will do well in this tournament. It has been kind of disappointing not getting first in our other competitions, but I am hoping that we will be able to get first place in this tournament.” This is Red Hill and Patoka’s first year competing in the Midland Trail Conference, because they just got added this year. Adding teams into the conference adds more competition for all the teams already involved. Senior basketball player Chase Smith said, “I am looking forward to playing in this tournament and hopefully winning. There will be more of a challenge this year since there are two more teams, but I believe that we can still get first place. It would be amazing if we could bring home a first place trophy two years in a row.”