Bringing New Life to an Old Town

Shayla Miller

Wayne City is a pretty old town most people would say, but most people believe the new school has had a positive impact on this tiny town of about 1,100 people. The school is a central focus of the community. Students and staff are really excited to finally be settled into the new school and Seniors are looking forward to being one of the first classes to graduate from the new WCHS. More than excitement, it’s history.

So, what aspects of the building make the school so welcoming for students and teachers? Well, freshman, Isaiah Miller says the cleanliness of the building has a big impact on him, and that he appreciates not having to deal with cockroaches, like in the old building. Students also appreciate the air conditioning and the space in the gyms. The gymnasiums provide ample space for sporting events and school activities, and the air conditioning makes for a more comfortable time while there. The layout of the building seems to be a favorite thing for most people. With WCHS students on the top floor and junior high and grade school on the bottom floor, it provides needed separation of students, but yet keeps them together.

With all the positive things that come with the new school, there are also some flaws too. One of the main flaws to the new building is a lack of signs and labeling to help visitors and new students learn their way around. Family and visitors would find it helpful for the gyms to be labeled  performance or competition. A few additions could be made to the new school, but it is the glue what keeps this little community together.