Homework: Procrastination or Get it Done Right Away?

Hannah Huston

Procrastination is one of the easiest things and maybe even most dangerous things to do when assigned homework. Students procrastinate in many different ways instead of doing homework like hanging out with friends, watching TV, listening to music and many other things to put off their work just a little bit longer. Procrastination can be dangerous because it takes away most of the valuable time students have to get assignments done and finished to the best of their capability. Then there’s also the students that hate procrastinating and would rather just finish their assignments and no longer have to worry about when they’re going to get them done. Some students both procrastinate and get their homework done as soon as possible, depending on their mood that day. Whether or not they get their homework done quickly or push it off probably depends on their assignment or how they’re feeling at the time it’s assigned.

Fifty Wayne City High School students were asked whether they procrastinate or get their homework done right away. Twenty seven said they procrastinate, 17 said they get it done right away, and six said they do both. Rylee Greenwalt was asked why she chooses to procrastinate, and she said “I would rather watch Netflix.” Next, when asked why he choose not to procrastinate, Dawson Barnard said, “If I procrastinate I get stressed out knowing I have things to do.” Lastly, Christina Garrison responded, “I start my homework as soon as I get it, but if I don’t finish it in class and have to take it home, I procrastinate to get it done.”

This poll has shown that most students do procrastinate a lot of the time. Yes, procrastinating isn’t necessarily a good thing but most students feel as long as they get the homework done on time but not right away it should be alright, right? Once students find a balance with their homework that works well for them, they feel less stress and complete their work in the way that fits them best.