WCHS Cheer Team Prepares for Upcoming Season

Morgan Schumm

The Wayne City High School cheer team is getting ready for a new and better year. There are nine girls on the cheer team this year. Seniors: Abby Bowsher and Karissa Young, Junior: Molly McNeil.  Sophomores: Leah Marvel, Delainey Bailey, Libby Williams, Jayla Pendleton. Freshman: Jayden Bailey, and Lillian Borah, and coaches: Connie McNeil and Shelly Bailey.

Coach Connie Mcneil was asked what all the girls have done this year to prepare for their upcoming season, she stated, “We have done team building activities such as serving together at the homeless shelter, competing at an escape room, and summer camp. Our goal for this upcoming season is to promote and encourage school spirit, starting with our team.” At the beginning of the year the girls had two different barbeque and porkchop sales in the Wayne CIty Citgo parking lot. They raised enough money to buy new uniforms, poms, shoes bags, and bows. Senior cheerleader,  Abby Bowsher was asked what she thought of this year’s new cheer uniforms and her response was, “I personally really like the new uniforms this year. They are a different style with a lot more color.” The girls used some of their remaining money from fundraising to purchase the new pep club banner. The banner is hanging over the pep club section in the high school gym clearly showing where the “Tribe” sits.

Coach McNeil also proudly said, “This team has worked hard all summer learning lots of new floor cheers, sidelines, and stunts! We hope that all the game-goers can see the excitement in this team and join us in supporting our basketball team!” The cheerleaders have been working hard all year to what sounds like will be a great upcoming season!