Odd Occupations

Odd+Occupations

Aubrey Noe, Senior Editor

When kids are small, they may want to grow up to be a firefighter or a police officer. Surprisingly, a lot of students at Wayne City High School have parents with some odd occupations.

Junior Dane Horton’s mom, Cyndi Horton’s  is an internationally board certified lactation consultant (IBCLC) What is that you ask? She teaches mothers-to-be the proper techniques on how to breastfeed their newborns. This job does not require a degree but it does involve vigorous classes and a lot of hard work. Cyndi is currently going back to school to her Certified Nursing Assistant certification. She is employed at Women Infants and Children in Fairfield, Illinois and has worked as a IBCLC for approximately twenty years.

Gracie McCormick’s dad, Joe McCormick, has the side job of being a goat breeder. He has recently taken on the hobby of raising goats and breeding them at their house in the backyard. Joe and the family attend local auctions and purchase many different breeds of goats. When Gracie was asked about her thought on her family’s new found love for goats, she said “It is so crazy. We started off with having two goats as strictly pets. Now we have thirteen and four of them are pregnant! It escalated quickly but I love them all!”

A Senior, Tyson Kelly’s mom is the local mailwoman here in Wayne City. She has been delivering mail for almost eight years and she enjoys it for the most part.  Before that, she would sub at Wayne City whenever she was needed. Tyson said, “I love my mom and I love that she does everything she can, along side my dad, to support the family”

These three students only scratch the surface when it comes to parents with unusual jobs. Many other occupations are represented throughout the school. From being a lactation consultant all the way to a mailwoman, there are numerous job opportunities out there.