Do You Have What It Takes To Get In?

Rylee Greenwalt

What are colleges looking for when incoming students apply? Eastern Illinois University looks at GPA requirements, SAT/ACT scores, and application requirements. EIU also looks for high school class requirements prior to college.

Average GPA for Eastern is 3.08. They accept B-average students with some A’s mixed in. Most colleges don’t typically accept C and D students. Application readers may consider your ability to handle college academics if you are a C and D-average student. High school students that are Juniors or Seniors, your GPA is more difficult to change in time for college applications. Although a high SAT/ACT score can be an advantage if you have a low GPA.

When submitting an application, most colleges ask that a copy of test results from the SAT/ACT are attached in order to apply. Eastern’s average ACT score is 21. This score makes Eastern moderately competitive for ACT scores. Although Eastern has no minimum ACT requirement score, students with a 19 or below will have a lower chance of getting accepted. Eastern does not have any requirements for SAT subject tests. More than likely, if the score on the SAT/ACT tests are strong, then Eastern will accept the applicant and not pay attention to the rest of the application.

Eastern requires a high school transcript and GPA, application form, and other information that could help the process of getting accepted when filling out an application. SAT/ACT scores and letters of recommendation, application essays, and interviews also need to be attached. It is important to make sure that all requirements are met. Colleges help students prepare their applications by helping them meet all requirements, so students have a better chance at making the cut.