Caught Between Tradition and Abuse

Shayla Miller

High school sororities have been around a lot longer than most people would think. These sororities are in the bigger cities with the higher class students. They are not exactly school groups, so the high schools don’t have control over them. With these sororities not being incorporated with the high schools, could students be abusing the traditions of the past?

Alpha Mu Tau, Alpha Omega Theta, and Alpha Sigma Phi are just a few of the national high school sororities that still exist today. However, with all the risk management concerns, high schools stopped allowing them on campus, forcing students created the organization off-campus if they wanted to keep it alive. The hazing in these sororities still exists today, but isn’t as extreme as the actual college sororities.

These sororities offer the same GLO’s that colleges do. According to greekchat.com, an anonymous comment said “There are two sororities at the high schools here, there are ADKs DBS. As far as what they do….one of my friends that use to be in DBS said pretty much all they did was have fundraisers for a philanthropy and have a formal.” So, these high school sororities are not exactly like college sororities, but just a fun group for high schoolers to be a part of.

With all the concerns about these high school sororities, they do still exist today. The traditions of the past aren’t so much as being abused but trying to be kept alive. All in all, whether a person agrees with having high school sororities or not, they aren’t hurting anyone or anything.