The Will to Win

Hanah Cooper

Some people race towards competition like it’s a 200 Meter Dash and someone is right on their heels. WCHS has more than it’s fair share of these kinds of students. Some of the most shining examples of these people have been asked a few questions about what drives them go above and beyond in a competition. “I’m little in size so I have to make up for it in my actions. I’m competitive because I have to prove that little people shouldn’t be written off,” Sophomore, Avery Seidel says. “I also like to make boys cry.” Now, this is a good excuse as to why someone could be competitive, but how does that affect their life as a student?

Athletes are generally considered to be more competitive than other students. Student-athletes spend a lot of time playing sports and work very hard to become better. Sometimes that means a student would spend more time practicing than doing their homework. This might not always be the case, but it is also an example of a way competitiveness could hurt grades. On the flip side of that, there are students that are extremely competitive in their class. The battle to be Valedictorian in a class can be a tough one and kids will fight hard for that. Sure, that sounds like a justifiable cause, but it can add extra stress to someone’s life. “The pressure of always wanting to excel can be a difficult thing to carry, but if you want to be on top, you have to put in the extra work,” comments Jayla Pendleton, a Sophomore striving for that number one spot in her class.

Competition is all over the place. Some of it is healthy and some of it is harmful. It all depends on the person, the situation, and the details. There are plenty of students who love a little friendly competition and can handle it well. On the other side of that, however, are the ones strive to win and be the best at anything remotely challenging that comes their way. As long as kids are happy with their intense will to win, nothing can hold them back.