Is Water Wet?

MaKenna Kelly

There is an ongoing debate in Wayne City. Students have been outraged, and even offended. What brought up this question? No one seems to know. What is getting to our students so hard? Sophomore, Travis Dickey says, “It’s ridiculous that people even think this.”  Junior, Gracie Musgrave says, “People are too hung up on a basic third grade point of view to realize the truth.” Is water wet? Some students are saying “Definitely!” or “Is that even a question?” They are usually shocked to find out the truth. Water isn’t wet. Wetness is a description of our experience of water; what happens to us when we come into contact with water in such a way that it has an effect on our state of being. We, or our possessions, ‘get wet’. Saying water is wet is like saying that wood is hard or fire is hot. However according to Christopher VanLang, PhD in Chemical Engineering at Stanford University, “Water has a propensity to wet things. It generally has liquid-liquid interactions that are weaker than a lot of solid-liquid interactions which allow it to wet a lot of surfaces. However, there are several surfaces that won’t be wetted by water.” So Unfortunately to students who argue for the water is wet case, science has proved otherwise. This debate is debunked.