Why should we take a gap year?

Margot Lemonnier

Many organizations exist which propose programs that encourage students to discover another culture by immersion with host family for a year, an academic year or a semester, such as “Education First”, “American Institute For Foreign Study”, “Cultural Homestay International”, “Rotary”, “World Education Program”… For example, they suggest to study abroad, participate in voluntary placement, school exchanges, go backpacking in a foreign country, or even to host a person. But why should students take a gap year?

One benefit of taking these kind of a gap year is that students come back more outspoken, open-minded, and have more self-reliance and maturity. The second advantage is that it allows students to brush up language skills or to learn a new language, because it is a total immersion. Students discover a new culture and expand their outlook. They meet many different people which can broaden the mind, and make new friends around the world. A gap year can also be an asset for a job. This may tip the balance, because after it we will have more ability to manage and solve problems. Another positive aspect is that it is a chance to escape to the daily routine, to take a break, and it is also a chance to face a new challenge.

The gap year is an experience beyond belief, because individuals deepening experience of a knowledge about the world in a way that school and a professional career can never reveal. It is far more rewarding than simply being a tourist, as students live like local people, acquire knowledge not available to the typical traveller, and see a new way of living. It is a once in a lifetime opportunity to study, learn about the local life and travel. It is a life-altering experience.