Preparing for College in High School

Shauna Roesch

College can be both the best time of one’s life, yet also, the most stressful time. Beginning to prepare in high school can help take some of that stress away. It’s never too early to start thinking about the future.

As a high school student, it’s good to at least have an idea of the future and what the students career goals are. If a person doesn’t quite know what they want to do though, they don’t need to sweat it quite yet, there’s still time.

Whether a student knows what their career goals are or not, they still need to make sure they’ve got all their class credits to graduate and if they do have a future plan, it’s best to take some classes that pertain to the field of study they will go into once in college.

Once a senior or junior in high school, it’s a smart move to start looking into colleges and which ones have the best programs. Most high schools have a “college day” in which a person can be excused to go visit different colleges.

Another extremely important thing to do is apply for scholarships. There’s so many out there, some a person wouldn’t even think about. So apply for every one, it never hurts to try!

If students need help with their career goals and/or reaching them there are many ways to receive help. From asking parents, to online research, to the help of the school guidance counselor