The Warwhoop

Violence Against the LGBT+ Population

Yes, It’s Still A Problem

Trinity Krueger

Lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people face violence motivated by hateful attitudes towards theirImage result for violence against lgbt statistics sexuality or, especially their gender identity almost everyday. Violence may be executed by the state, through laws prescribing corporal punishment for homosexual acts (which is still legal in 31 states), or by individuals engaging in intimidation, mobbing, assault, torture, intimidation, or lynching.

Violence targeted at people because of their perceived sexuality can extend to permanent physical or emotional harm, or even murder. These actions may be motivated by homophobia, lesbophobia, biphobia, transphobia, etc., and may be influenced by cultural, religious, or political biases. And according to humanrights.gov, 80% of queer students face bullying almost daily.

“I’m afraid to go outside, because what if [people] see that I’m not like them. What if I get murdered today?” a friend said one day as they were getting ready for school. Just like racism, homophobia will probably be around forever, but steps can be taken to help the situation. Just try to think as one of them. The ball is in everyone’s court, anyone can make a difference in millions of lives. It only takes one person to jump-start change.