The Warwhoop

The Mid-America Marathon

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Mid-America Marathon

Dawson Barnard

Caravans of Central Americans running north to the United States have been in the news since April of this year.  On October 21, CNN reported on some of the caravan members at the Guatemala-Mexico border. Orlin Herrera, a member from Honduras had one message for President Trump: “We’re not criminals.  We’re coming to work. We need better jobs. We need better lives.” Another member called President Trump the Antichrist.

The caravan eventually overwhelmed the Mexican police and continued on their journey north.  Trump tweeted later that evening, “Sadly, it looks like Mexico’s police and military are unable to stop the caravan heading to the southern border of the United States.”  Following this statement, he appeared on Fox News saying, “I don’t know what’s going on with Mexico. It looks like the people are walking right through the middle of Mexico, so I’m not exactly thrilled there either!”

Departure from Mexico City began on November 10.  Many camped at the Jesus Martinez Stadium which had been prepared for them. Their food and other supplies were immensely replenished by local donations.  Mexico offered work visas to many caravan members, and 2697 temporary visas were granted, but many vow to continue towards America. After taking city metro trains to the edge of town, many made their way to the main highway to resume walking and hitchhiking towards the United States border.  As of now, it is unclear what will happen once the caravan reaches the border. One thing is certain, the clock is ticking on President Trump’s actions towards border security, arguably the most crucial part of his 2016 campaign.