All Fired Up!

Rylee Greenwalt, Chieftain Editor

Pouring out hard work and tears over the 2017-2018 Chieftain yearbook has paid off. The Journalism students of 2017-2018 class won the Golden Dozen award and accepted the award at the annual Southern Illinois School Press Association (SISPA). The Golden Dozen is a very honored award to receive.

Each yearbook gets judged with a very fine and precise eye leaving no page un-turned. Our book’s theme was “Ignite the Tribe”, the theme was chosen at a summer yearbook camp attended by the yearbook staff at John A. Logan College. The Golden Dozen judges photography, captions, body copy, folio, accuracy and theme consistency. Four books are chosen from three divisions. The Chieftain was one out of four books chosen for division three. Along with the Golden Dozen award, the Chieftain placed in five mail in entries from various yearbook staff members including third place in Student Life, Academics, and overall theme. Placing first in the Sports category was Shauna Roesch’s Volleyball double page spread and Rylee Greenwalt placed second in Photography with a picture of sophomore Jaden Boyd painting fall scenery on the front office windows.

Yearbook Advisor, Kelli Keen hosted a pizza party for the yearbook staff with the help from her parents, who delivered the pizza during lunch. Brian Turner from the Wayne County Press captured a picture of the yearbook staff holding the Chieftain ’17-’18 Edition and the Golden Dozen Award on Tuesday to be viewed in the Wayne County Press. The staff is very thankful for the hard work their advisor put into the yearbook in order to receive this award. The staff would also like to thank the surrounding businesses for the support in the Wayne City Chieftain!