Always Stirring Up Treble

Kylee Gregory

Students have been in school for eleven days and things are in full swing in the band room. Band students have voted on songs to perform for the upcoming parade season, pep band, and the Christmas concert. On Monday, members chose their instruments for the year. With fifteen total members this year, Wayne City has seven clarinetists, two trombone players, one baritone, one flute, three percussionists, and one drum major.

The class is already preparing for the Bean Days parade by practicing marching and playing the school song. Mrs. Fagan can commonly be heard during fourth hour yelling, “Earn your P.E. exemption and march on the correct foot!”

Students are also excited to have the chance to take a trip to New York City. Fundraisers are being planned and some of the girls, Abby Reed and Amber McGhee, are already considering what to wear. The trip will take place in April. Students will fly there and have an all-inclusive experience including visiting Ellis Island and watching a Broadway musical.

When asked what he liked about his first year of being in band and a drum major, junior Riley Cottrill said, “My favorite part about band is how laid back Mrs. Fagan is. We can joke with her and tell her stories and still get practice done. I’m really excited about being able to have class with all of my friends and making new ones as I learn how to direct for parades. Everyone is so nice and helpful when I have a question. I’ve considered playing trumpet too.”