Journalism Travels to Yearbook Camp

Delainey Bailey, Reporter

On September 19, Mrs. Keen’s Journalism classes traveled to Carbondale for Balfour’s Yearbook Camp. The event was hosted by Balfour at the Carbondale Civic Center. Balfour Representative Jim Hawkinson led the event. There were seventeen journalism students who attended the workshop with two chaperones, Kelli Keen and Teresa White. The bus departed at 7:00 am and arrived at 8:30 am. The first session started at 9:00 am and was led by Kel Lemons, Balfour’s Key Accounts and Education Manager. She discussed how to achieve a great yearbook theme for each school. The second session started at 10:15. Kel Lemons talked to students and advisors about coming up with inspiration for the layout and details of the yearbook in everyday items, such as magazines and college pamphlets. Lunch was served at 11:30 and Little Caesars Pizza was provided.

Students enjoyed looking at other schools’ yearbooks as they ate lunch. Lunch was followed by a third session, where Lemons taught about design and how to organize the content of the yearbook. When asked about her overall experience of yearbook camp, Senior Libby Williams replied, “We learned a lot of new things about spreads and design. It was freezing in that building!” Journalism staff members came home with new ideas and inspiration to start the 2019-2020 yearbook.