Maintaining Good Grades

Emma McCormick

Sports, clubs, friends — many students would say that high school is full of different tasks to juggle. For most people, grades are at the top of the list. According to many teens, it’s becoming increasingly difficult to balance a social life and good grades, but is very expected in today’s society. Most students feel as if parents, teachers, and peers often make them feel pressured to have exceptional grades, which they say in turn, is a major cause of stress in high school. To most, perfecting grades is very important when preparing for college, leading to school work taking up a major amount of time in teenagers’ lives. According to students planning on going to college, the pressure to keep up their scores in their classes is even higher, and according to The Princeton Review, forty three percent of high school students report that getting into college is the main driver of academic performance. Most colleges and universities require a minimum of a 3.5-4.0 GPA, which means an A- or A average. Maintaining this can be quite the difficult task for students, and makes it even more difficult to juggle a social life and extracurricular activities. However, as stressful as keeping up with the rapid-moving high school experience is, many students believe that their hard work will pay off. “Keeping up with grades is very important, especially at our age. College will be here before we know it, but I believe all of our struggling will be worth it in the end” says Jaden Boyd, a Junior this year.