A Big Heart Goes A Long Way

Avery Seidel, Reporter

Those who know Mrs. Ruth Kissner, know how big her heart is. Mrs. Kissner is the guidance counselor at Wayne City High School. As a counselor, her job includes meeting with students for academic needs.  These academic needs involve planning class schedules, assisting students in completing scholarships and college applications, helping students sign up for standardized testing such as the ACT and SAT, and helping students who are having trouble in classes or with other peers. As if she did not do enough already, she also volunteers for the Red Ribbon Drug Prevention Team, she acts as one of the 2020 senior class sponsors, and she has been a foster parent. Kissner stated, “That [being a foster parent] was one of the most powerful experiences I’ve had.”

Being a school counselor comes with many ups and downs. At one point in her career, she found herself going through a loss from cancer with one student’s family. This made her realize the support and encouragement she has had during her fight with cancer. She has had plenty of memorable moments throughout her career. Kissner once had a student, who is now a minister, say to her that he wouldn’t have been able to make it through high school if it wasn’t for her. “It is very exciting, for me, when someone does get to complete their goal of going to the college they want or going into the profession they want. So when I see them getting their dream fulfilled or completing that dream, that’s exciting.”