A Socially Distanced Prom

Emma McCormick, Ad Editor

This year’s prom was delayed by five months, due to the coronavirus pandemic. The dance was originally supposed to be held on March 28, but instead, it was held on Aug 8. There were many differences this year compared to the past. Students wore masks, socially distanced, there was no slow dancing, and there were lots of other changes. Due to the guidelines, post-prom had to be canceled. In its place, the school held a silent auction. The items the school had up for bid included three pairs of Airpods, two Apple watches, and a 50-inch Smart TV. The students were given many opportunities throughout the evening to earn money to bid on the prizes.

Most of the student body enjoyed the dance, and they were just grateful they got to have a prom for the 2019-20 school year. “We still had a fun prom even considering the circumstances; it was worth the wait,” says junior Lucas Noe. There was still the traditional prom court this year, with four freshmen, four sophomores, four juniors, and ten seniors. The retiring prom queen Makenna Kelly and king Isaac Loker crowned the new prom queen Virginia (Libby) Williams and prom king Kent Miller. “I did not expect that I would win, but I am very grateful to be able to have a prom and be the queen,” says Williams. Angelia Kelly, prom sponsor, along with her prom committee group of junior and senior high school students, organized this year’s prom. “COVID-19 had placed many challenges in front of us, but I was determined to give our students at Wayne City their prom. Even with the guidelines placed before us, we were able to make a night of memories,” says Kelly, “The Great Gala of 2020 proved to be just that.”