Leggo My Lego

Beth Thompson, Reporter

Lego Mindstorms. It’s on all of the student Chromebooks at WCHS, but no one knows what the app actually is. After investigation, Lego is an engineering app. This app teaches kids 10 years or older how to build working and moving robots out of Lego pieces, and helps them learn how to program codes for the robots. There are many different types of machines that can be built including a digital clock, dancing robot, a guitar playing robot, and believe it or not, a robot that can be used to fetch coffee. Users can even build a giant working hand out of Lego pieces. This program has kits filled with Lego pieces used to build machines with things like sensors, motors, a remote, grooves, axles and a lot more. The program offers over 550 more pieces. Lacy Rentfrow, who teaches fourth grade math, science and social studies, started a robotics club last year and uses this app to teach it. Therefore, the program was placed on all of the school’s Chromebooks.

“Wayne City Grade School Robotics Club is open to any 4-6 graders interested in learning about mechanical and electronic design by working on small scale robotics projects. Our club aligns itself with the goals of FIRST (For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology). Through this club, we hope students build self confidence, knowledge, and life skills while motivating them to pursue opportunities in science, technology, and engineering,” states Rentfrow. Unfortunately they are not having any meetings at this time due to COVID-19, but members are hopeful that will change soon.