Putting the Students in Charge

Emma McCormick, Ad Editor

Try to picture what a high school would look like run completely by the student body, allowing them to pick guidelines for the school, and having little to no authority even. What if students could pick what they wanted to change? What schools look like? Schools have state laws to follow, and some rules of their own depending on the area. The thought of the student body getting to have a say could be either scary or a great idea depending on how it’s looked at. High school students aren’t fully matured, and a very small percentage of the students are even legal adults.

“Considering the time we’re going through right now, I would love to be able to go to school and not have to wear a mask every day. I miss the previous school years, where nobody was worried about coronavirus,” says Jarrett Lewis, senior. The rule Lewis would like to change is a state law, due to the current COVID-19 pandemic. “I would enjoy seeing a change in class options at our school, everything seems to be centered around the FFA. I wish we had more classes to pick from and more flexibility with those classes,” says Madeline Boyd, sophomore. There are students who would even like to change some of their own staff choices at the school. “There are some staff members I would definitely fire if I had the chance, and I would really like to be able to use my locker and not carry all of these books around constantly,” says Mason Kelly, freshman. Kelly is referring to the students not being able to use their lockers this year, in an effort to not spread many germs due to the virus. “The first thing I would change is having a later start to the school days. I would really appreciate it if I could sleep in more, and I would perform better as a student,” says Taylor Catron, junior. 

Schools wouldn’t be the same if students were able to set the guidelines, it would just be a matter of whether or not they chose the guidelines based on what they want or what is actually best.