Too Much Virtual Work?

Kylee Gregory, Editor

Wayne City has been out of school since Monday due to the weather conditions. Teachers have been continuing classes online for the “Snow Go” program, which helps students avoid making up the missed in-person days at the end of the school year. Since most of the students’ homework is already through Google Classroom, not much has changed except the amount of homework assigned. But how much homework is too much?

In-person classes are about 45 minutes on average, with around 15 minutes or less of homework assigned after class. However, while doing classes online, students notice they are spending more time on each subject than they are in the classroom. Senior Brianna Rainwater says, “It feels like we don’t have a ton of homework while we are in school and then we get these snow days and it all gets piled on at once. It can be overwhelming some days with all of my classes, it’s harder to manage my time on certain subjects when their assignments take longer. Plus with my job it can be difficult to get all of it done on time.” 

Many students are not completing all of their work due to lack of time, resources, and motivation. While teachers may think they are going easy on students by only giving them an hour or two of work, students have seven classes a day to complete work for. Kids are unable to enjoy the usual activities they do in the snow such as building snowmen, drinking hot chocolate, having snowball fights, and sledding, because they are trapped inside doing homework for over seven hours of the day.