The History of Bean Queen

Picture courtesy of 1971 Chieftain Yearbook

Kelby Wood, Reporter

Wayne City’s Bean Queen Pageant goes as far back as 1971. The 1971 Miss Bean Queen was Cynthia Steiner, first runner up was Candy Gregory, and lastly second runner up was DeLinda Vest.  The queen was chosen by a popular vote, and she reigned over the two day festivities every year. Now three or four judges choose the queen and Bean Days is a week long event. Every year high school beauties get all dressed up and attend the pageant.

The 2021 retiring queen was Jayla Pendleton-Scott. She was the winner in 2019. Due to COVID-19 she got to serve two years as the queen. Jayla said, ” It was an honor to serve as the 2019 Miss Bean Queen. I will cherish that I was able to serve my community for two years. I hope that my reign reminds everyone that hard work can overcome any obstacle!” She finally got to give up her crown to the 2021 Miss Bean Queen, senior Abby Reed. Abby killed the stage and says, ” It was a very unexpected surprise. Bean Queen is always such a fun experience. I am ready to serve as this years queen!” She attended Bean Queen every year that she was able to. She will now get to reign as Wayne City’s queen until next year! She will ride in the Bean Days parade along with first and second runner up, Miss Congeniality, and Directors Choice. Since 1971 the Bean Queen Pageant has changed. They have added more awards. They now have, Miss congeniality and Directors Choice. Some years they throw in best hair and prettiest smile! This years first runner up was Josie Greenwalt, a freshman. She says, ” My favorite thing about winning first runner up is being able to ride in a cool car in the parade!”