Lady Indians Kick Off the Season

Photo taken by Wayne County Press

Addison Seidel, Reporter

The 2021-2022 girls basketball season kicks off after a shorter season the previous year. After a year with half the amount of games, the team is ready and excited for a normal season along with their new coaches Hunter and Canyon Clark. Despite the fact that the team is a younger team, with six of the ten players being freshmen, they are still optimistic about their season. When asked how she felt about her first normal season in high school sophomore, Greenlea Vaughn responded, “I’m glad that I finally get a chance to experience a more normal high school basketball season.” They started their season facing off at Edwards County but took a hard loss of 42-40 after a hard battle to the end. The team was on the road again playing at Webber as they faced off with a conference team, the Lady Trojans.  They took another hard loss to Webber Lady Trojans with the final score being 32-22. Junior Paige Greenwalt said, “Although our team is young, we are really playing well as a team despite the outcome of our previous games.”  The Lady Indians home opener against Elverado ended with yet another loss.  Senior Ellie Dickey explained her expectations for this season by saying, “I am very hopeful for a winning season this year with all the talent we have this and with the new things we are learning from the new coaches.” The Lady Indians get ready for the holiday tournament this week at Hamilton County, with hopes of adding some wins to their record.