Small School; Big Plans

Taj McKinney, Reporter

Wayne City Unit 100 is a very small high school, with very small sports teams. Going into a college sport is challenging for anyone, especially someone from such a small school. However, Lucas Noe, a senior at Wayne City, decided to take up the challenge and work his way into a baseball scholarship at Lincoln Christian University. When asked how hard he had to work he responded, “I have been playing since I was 3 years old, along with having 8 years of travel baseball under my belt. You have to work all the time, even if it means missing some of the fun things in high school.” The hard work that Lucas had to put in to be asked to join the college level is impressive. When asked if he was looking forward to the next level of baseball Lucas stated, “Yes, because I am ready for the challenge and the new atmosphere along with proving that you don’t have to be from a huge high school to get into the next level of sports.” Lucas ended his Junior season averaging a .434% batting average, which led the team with a 16 game hit streak in the middle of the season. Lucas was recruited as a pitcher for college due to his skill at the high school level, with having 2 games with over 10 strikeouts. When Lucas was asked how he thought his talents would translate to college baseball he stated, “I think that it will be a real challenge, but I can’t wait for the challenge and the experience.”