Millikin Man

Millikin+Man

Kelby Wood, Reporter

Senior Chase Smith is one of Wayne City’s cross country runners. So far this year, he has placed first at two meets and second at two other meets. Chase has visited Millikin University two times now. He first visited in August during the day. He was given a tour, had meetings with the coaches, and also ate lunch with the coaches.  Millikin is interested in Chase running for them. Millikin University is a private D3 school located in Decatur Illinois. Chase loved it so much that he decided to go back, but this time he had an overnight visit.

He went back to Millikin and stayed the night in a college dorm with three freshmen and one other recruit visiting. The day he arrived, he had a meeting and had dinner with the coach and team captains. Chase says, ” I really liked talking with the coaches and faculty because they gave me really helpful information and tips about making my college decision.” While living the college experience Chase got the opportunity to sit in on a college class. He attended a digital media class. After his class, he got to tour their state of the art baseball field, their indoor track, and workout center. Chase made tons of friends, more than he expected. Smith states, “I met all sorts of people, cheerleaders, golfers, soccer players, and of course runners. But what was surprising is how nice and welcoming everyone was. They all talked to me like I was one of their long time friends. The coaches all seemed like real down to earth people and really cared about their athletes and me.”