The student news site of Wayne City High School

The Warwhoop

The Warwhoop

The Warwhoop

Polls

What do you think of the new finals policy at WCHS?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
Connexion

Between the Lines: Battles of the Conference Tournament

The Lady Indians volleyball team are a part of the Midland Trail Conference. They finished conference play going 4-3. Their losses include the Woodlawn Cardinals, the Webber Trojans, and the Cisne Lions. The MTC tournament began Thursday, October 12. That night, the Lady Indians took 3 wins over Webber, Grayville, and Patoka. The team had been waiting for this, hoping to get another shot at a couple of teams.

The biggest obstacle, more of a mental game, was the first match up on Thursday night. That was the second time the Indians and Trojans played each other at Webber High School. Playing in their gym with their fans was a challenge for the Indians, but Wayne City fans showed up to support as well. The Indians took the match in two sets, moving to their next opponent, the Grayville Bison. They defeated Grayville in three sets and then swept the Patoka Warriors in two quick sets.

The team then advanced to the championship game on Friday, Oct. 13. Their opponent, the Cisne Lions, defeated the Sandoval Blackhawks, the Red Hill Salukis, and the Woodlawn Cardinals to advance to the championship game.

The championship match was finished in two sets and the Lions took the victory. Senior Ayden Smith stated that, “We played okay in the beginning. It wasn’t our best game and as it went on we slowly declined.” The second place finish wasn’t exactly what the team wanted. Coach LaMar Choate said, “Overall I was very proud of the team. We made it to the championship game which was a good accomplishment. We would’ve liked better in that title game, but I thought we represented our school very well.”