The student news site of Wayne City High School

The Warwhoop

The Warwhoop

The Warwhoop

Polls

What do you think of the new finals policy at WCHS?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
Connexion

Helping the Homeless

Lifeboat Alliance
JoAnna Leonardi
Lifeboat Alliance poster

What is Lifeboat Alliance? Most would assume it is just a homeless shelter, however in reality it is so much more. Lifeboat Alliance is a non-profit organization that was formed in 2010.  It is an alliance of churches, schools, community leaders, service organizations, and agencies. The community of Mount Vernon and the surrounding Jefferson county communities have come together to create an area where they can help displaced or homeless people and bring them to God while helping them get back onto their feet. People may stay there for 30-60 days while working with a case worker to get a job and a more permanent home. The Alliance does not accept anyone who is under the influence of drugs or alcohol or violent individuals, however they may gently direct them to someone who will help them instead.

The Wayne City High School FCCLA donates food every year for the holidays. Senior Zoe Wiggins, the president of FCCLA, stated, “I always look forward to making the foods and serving it at the shelter. It is always so sweet to see how appreciative the people are.” This year, FCCLA will also be donating diapers and pull-ups for the babies and toddlers. FCCLA’s advisor Laura Miller said, “I look forward to serving every year at the Lifeboat Homeless Shelter. The members always participate and look forward to it also. It is such a rewarding experience for myself and the members!” There is no doubt that everyone participating in donating loves to do it. Donating to the Lifeboat Alliance made easier with their website. Their website explains how to contact the leaders to find out when and how community members can also donate.