Keep Your Cell in its Cell

Shauna Roesch

Cellphone

/ˈselfōn/  N

1. (short for cellular phone) a telephone with access to a cellular radio system so it can be used over a wide area, without a physical connection to a network
  2. a teacher’s headache

The rule for using a cellphone at school is that they have to be turned off and hidden at all times, except for lunch and at the beginning and end of the day. However, do students actually follow that rule?

There are several consequences for being caught using a phone, yet students still have no problem pulling out a phone in the middle of a class period. This then leads to teachers taking them away.  Nathanial Barbee, a junior, said, “We are not used to the ”new” rule and we are always on our phones anyway.” when asked why he thinks students do not follow the no cell phones in class rule.

There are two sides to every story, on one hand students may think phones are helpful, but on the other hand some students could find them distracting. Jaxon King, a senior said, “I think phones can be good yet bad. They help me concentrate with music though.” when asked what he thought about students being distracted by their phones during teacher instruction. While Hanah Cooper, another junior said, “I think it’s disrespectful to use your phone when a teacher is trying to teach you something. They work hard to prepare lessons for you and expect you to learn something from them. Maybe it would be okay when they’re done but definitely not when they’re talking.” when asked the same question. All in all, no matter which side a student is on, it’s the administration that gets to decide the fate of a phone.