The student news site of Wayne City High School

The Warwhoop

The Warwhoop

The Warwhoop

Polls

What do you think of the new finals policy at WCHS?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
Connexion

Battles of the Brains

Upcoming Scholar Bowl Tournaments in January

The Wayne City High School scholar bowl team will be competing in three tournaments in January. Two regional MTC tournaments, and a varsity skirmish tournament. With the varsity MTC Tournament at Cisne, the junior varsity MTC tournament at Wayne City, and the varsity skirmish tournament at Fairfield, the team expects good results after all their matches.

The Cisne varsity tournament on January 8 resulted in Wayne City bringing home a second-place trophy after beating Woodlawn on the tiebreaking question, and a tough Championship match against Cisne. “I’m proud of my team for performing so well, but I definitely feel that we could have won that first place match.” One notable detail is team starter, Joel Beehn, tied for MVP of the tournament with a player from Cisne.

Next up, is the junior varsity MTC tournament at home on January 11th. Lead by their captain, Dutch Peyton, they are expecting a hard-fought win. JV player, Brody Rentfrow, “I think we will win because we have been pretty good this year and we are pretty smart- I think.”

Finally, is the Fairfield Skirmish Tournament on January 13. Teams from big schools all over Illinois such as Flora, Centralia, and Effingham will also participate. Coach Jessica Fagan said, “We know that we are competing against big schools with accelerated courses, but they don’t give up and it should be quite fun.”