What Are Scholarships?

Rylee Greenwalt

The first step to apply is to know where to look. There are two different types of scholarships. They are institutional and private scholarships. Institutional scholarships are provided by a college or university that students attend. Private scholarships are provided by various organizations that are not connected to the school. You can also find scholarships that are determined by grade point average and ACT/SAT scores. Students are more likely to earn higher scholarships when having a higher grade point average.

Institutional scholarships are divided into levels based on grade point average. An incoming freshmen might be offered a $3,000 scholarship that has a 3.7 GPA or higher. Students with a GPA between 3.2 and 3.6 GPA get offered a $2,000 scholarship. The GPA requirements for private scholarships vary depending on the organization.

Athletic scholarships are considered to be both institutional and private scholarships. Athletic students tend to receive athletic scholarships for a full ride to that college. When applying for an athletic scholarship students need to be consistent in trying to receive one. One email won’t get the job done. Students need to consider using teachers and adults in their town to help with connections that they might have to a coach from a college that they are looking at.

Private scholarships would be scholarships offered through hometown organizations. In small town schools like Wayne City, students depend on small town organizations for most of the scholarships awarded to the graduating class. In Wayne City, the FFA Alumni play a big part in scholarships. The Ruritans of Wayne City award Wayne City high school students with multiple scholarships. WCHS is very fortunate for all of the caring adults that give to the students to help their college career in their near future.