The student news site of Wayne City High School

The Warwhoop

The Warwhoop

The Warwhoop

Polls

What do you think of the new finals policy at WCHS?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
Connexion

January Senior of the Month

As January came and sent, Klaira Vaughan was the talk of the school. Kathy Braddock, the Wayne City High School secretary, announced Klaira Vaughan as the Senior of the Month. Klaira Vaughan said, “I was super excited about it. Some of my friends were chosen before me, and I was really hoping to achieve this throughout this year.” Klaira is involved in multiple clubs and organizations such as band, history club, journalism, BETA club, Red Ribbon Ream and FCCLA. Teachers look at characteristics such as student involvement before voting for the award. 

Teachers consider five criteria before voting including extracurricular involvement, dedication, cooperation, scholarship, and community involvement. Extracurricular involvement involves time and energy spent outside the regular school day involved in school clubs and organizations. Dedication looks at a willingness to do more than the minimum in all school endeavors. Cooperation involves looking for students who are helpful, cooperative, and who help maintain a positive image for the school through their attitude and actions. The scholarship portion of the criteria should be based on the academic records of the student. This should take into account improvement of academic progress as well as a history of strong grades. Community activities include church activities, 4-H, Scouts, etc… as well as any other volunteer work being done in the community, hospital, fire department, etc. Teachers take all of these categories into consideration when placing their vote.

Vote organizer Kathy Braddock stated, “The voting is supposed to be anonymous, so I can only guess why some staff members voted for Klaira. Based on the criteria that staff members are supposed to use when voting for senior of the month, I’d say that she meets most, if not all, of the criteria necessary to be considered.” Teacher Jessica Fagan said, “Klaira is very considerate, has a positive personality, and is respected by her peers.”