The student news site of Wayne City High School

The Warwhoop

The Warwhoop

The Warwhoop

Polls

What do you think of the new finals policy at WCHS?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
Connexion

Girls Basketball is Back

The Wayne City Lady Indians kicked off their 2023-2024 season last night with an away game at Edwards County. They took a hard loss to a very tough EC team. The team views the girls’ schedule as a tough one, especially with such a small roster of only seven players. Playing difficult teams will help teach and prepare them for games later in the season. They began conditioning in October with only two players, while the rest were in season for volleyball. The Lady Indians have seven players this year, after the Cisne co-op did not provide any new athletes. The limited roster can pose various challenges but the team is optimistic. Senior Greenlea Vaughan says, “Having seven players is rough when it comes down to it, but I’m excited for my senior season.” 

The Lady Indians play conference teams such as the Sandoval/Patoka Blackhawks, the Grayville Bison, the Webber Trojans, and the Woodlawn Cardinals. The toughest teams they face are teams outside of the conference. According to Vaughan those include Mt Carmel, Christopher, Brownstown, and Edwards County who they played last night, November 13. 

After not gaining any players from Cisne, senior Gracie Loker decided to join and play for the first year. Loker says, “I’m excited for something new, but I am also really nervous to mess up.” 

The Lady Indians are preparing for upcoming games by working hard in practice, going over plays, and running drills. Their next game is away against the Webber Lady Trojans this Thursday.