The student news site of Wayne City High School

The Warwhoop

The Warwhoop

The Warwhoop

Polls

What do you think of the new finals policy at WCHS?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
Connexion

Marching for Beans

Bailie Atwood
Wayne City High School band practicing their marching

Left.. Left.. Left.. Left… This is what individuals can hear if they are marching with a band. With Bean Days coming up, there’s a lot for WCHS Band to finish. They need to prep their instruments to make sure they are parade ready. It’s different for every instrument, but for most, the process includes tuning and making sure the buttons work properly. Senior Ayden Smith says, “Getting ready for Bean Days is a lot of hard work, but it turns out to have a good ending and it’s fun.” 

The band must then practice the song they play while marching. The chosen song this year is, “Take Me Home, Country Roads” by John Denver. They chose this song because they felt it went with the Bean Days theme, “Plowing Ahead for a Better Future.”

Band Director Mrs. Fagan says, “I’m ready to be done.” Don’t get her wrong, she loves her band and playing for Bean Days. It just gets old after a while. While marching in a band is fun, it definitely is a lot of hard work. The hard work they do every year pays off though when they play their song in the parade for Bean Days. 

Band members are especially excited about Bean Days this year, because they recently bought polos to replace the old, stinky jackets. The original band jackets were ordered in 2016, making them 7 years old and probably were only washed once. Band members agree the new polos are a needed addition to the band’s closet. Senior Ashton Bullard says, “I’m excited to not have to wear the heavy, smelly jackets anymore.”