The student news site of Wayne City High School

The Warwhoop

The Warwhoop

The Warwhoop

Polls

What do you think of the new finals policy at WCHS?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...
Connexion

Winning Big With Good Attendance

This school year, students have something new to be excited about. With the help of high school teacher, Mrs. Keen, and grade school teacher, Mr. Lingafelter, a new reward system has been introduced. Each week, a random number generator picks out an underclassman and upperclassman who have been in attendance for the whole week with no tardy or absent records on the attendance record. These lucky winners are able to spin the wheel to see what cash prize they win. Every week the cash pot is increased by $24. The latest big winner, freshman Brody Rentfrow, won the jackpot of $56 on Tuesday, October 10. “When I got the jackpot, I felt excited and surprised,” claims Brody, “I’m probably going to save the money.”

The funding behind the project stems from a series of meetings and trainings on the improvement of the social emotional health of students. Funding was provided as part of the project to help schools reach their targeted goals. Mrs. Keen and Mr. Lingafelter attend the trainings each month. As part of the process, they formed a team with community members, school staff, and parents. The team targeted increasing attendance as a goal for the school and improving student performance and overall health.

This prize has students buzzing and wondering about when they will get picked, because most high schoolers are interested in good attendance if cash prizes are a part of the deal. Principal Mr. Stephen Ellis said, “I think that rewarding students for being here would encourage better attendance; That was the goal. We are trying to award those students that always have good attendance and giving them praise for that good behavior. I thought it was a fantastic idea when Mrs. Keen came to me about it.”  With each coming week, the pot grows bigger and the students grow more anxious to see who will win it big next. even if the spinner doesn’t land on the jackpot, students still walk away a winner. They can always spend smaller amounts of money on snacks from the band room, Ag room, and Mrs. Miller’s room.